Sunday, February 26, 2017

The New Austerity

.I came into a small amount of money and I am ashamed to admit that I spent that and a whole lot more under the influence of a mania spree. The de-hoarders claimed a significant portion of that because they are not cheap.

So now I find myself trying to color between the lines of my income. It is not easy and I find myself turning to my Home Equity Line of Credit because I have no where else to go. I don't do credit cards and the interest on the HELOC is much cheaper than any credit card could be.

Luckily, I don't have a lot of expenditures, but I have to start keeping a tracking sheet on what gets spent and why. I live a very modest life now. I don't buy books. (No, really, I don't.) I don't go to the movies. I still have Amazon Prime and use the video streaming service from there and from Netflix.  I don't order lunch anymore but have devised a very nice way to take my lunch. The recovery of my modem and the discontinuing of my large data plan for the phone will probably cancel each other out. I will likely stop getting Peapod deliveries and continue going to Walmart for groceries and follow a strict list. No impulse buys!

Clothing I have aplenty after last year's spending spree. I've had a lot of work done on the house, but of course, more awaits.

I was watching the series "The Night Manager" (potential spoiler) where one of the characters seems to walk away unscathed physically and ends up with all the money that had been in play, a $300 million deal.  I wondered if he patriotically returned it to the Authorities, but I hoped in my larcenous heart that he got to keep it.

As I do when the lottery prize hits an absurd number, I started to think about what I would do with that much money. I am disappointingly non-avaricious. I get to paying off my debts, including my mortgage, and buying a new car, but I don't get much beyond that. Someone could probably buy me off with a hundred grand. How un-American of me.


1 comment:

the queen said...

You won all my respect with "I don't do credit cards."