I've mentioned a couple of times over the last couple of months that Mosby, the Senior Fellow of my household, is beginning to decline. It hasn't been a gentle decline. It seems like in four months, he's gone from the hale and hearty ladies' man to a shriveled old man.
I just realized that Mosby's decline began shortly after Gracie died. Well, she was his girlfriend. His best girl.
Gussy, his son, is with him all the time and has been from the moment they were brought into the same household. (Gus was two months old at the time. Mosby at least one year old.) Now Gus is 14 and Mosby is at least 15.
I've made an appointment for Mo to go to Hunky Vet in about an hour. I'm seriously wondering if this is a good idea. The last time I took him, it was so stressful for Mo that he was hyperventilating and his decline seemed to accelerate afterwards.
I know he's dehydrated, but I can give him fluids at home. I can give him medicine. I guess I'm saying, I don't want to leave him overnight at the vet's. Being confined in any manner totally freaks Mo Daddy out.
He's also not much interested in food these days.
In all honesty, when I wake up in the morning and when I come home at night, Mo isn't with the greeting committee anymore and I'm afraid of what I'll find when I go looking for him.
I know, I know. Past experience has taught me that it won't be long now. I just don't know how long that is, three weeks or three months.
I do know that when it's time for him to go, I will not take him out of the house again. I will call a vet and have him/her come to Ma Maisonette.
They're going so fast now. Leaving me so soon. But I always knew I would never be ready for Mosby to go.
Once, M the Perfect (Former) Roomie and her former boyfriend and I were sitting in the living room, watching Mo go after Gracie. "We've decided," he said, "that if there's one cat in the world that should be cloned, it's Mo."
Honestly? If I had $50K just sitting around with nothing better to do with it? I'd seriously think about it.
I don't want Mo to go. I'm not ready for him to go. But I don't know if I ever will be. It's not like I will ever love him any less than I do now.
3 comments:
I think about that with my cats. LaGuz is closing in on 18 now, and she's got the whole skinny body/not sleek fur. Still she climbs and runs and jumps just fine, eats plenty, and has a good time with a milk jug cap in the front hall. With her, I hope it's a quick end, like it was with Precious -- just one day, she decided to die and by the end of the day she did.
I think about Ophelia going. She's moving toward 15 now, and she's diabetic. She never was very active, but she still does her usual things and she sleeps on my pillow at night.
I think about losing Pooty. He's the one with whom I had the classic movie moment when I found him. All it lacked was violins in the background. He's hyperthyroid, but he's gained weight and eats everything. He's very active, but he's also closing in on 12.
Ben and Bea are 10 and 8 respectively, healthy and sassy and thinking about their eventual passing makes me sleepless.
And I think about the pets I've already lost -- Wesa and Precious, Cali and Xany , Othello and Titiana, Gandalf, Flower and Caesar and Cindy and Heidi. But I've stopped (or I try to stop) thinking of it as 'leaving me'. Instead, I try to be happy they were in my life at all.
We live, I'm convinced, to have our hearts broken and mended, because that's the only way they get bigger. Just like muscles in the body break down and rebuild to gain strength, the heart is another muscle.
But I reserve the right to cry when you announce another one of yours passes, just as I did with Gracie. So you know, you don't cry alone.
All of your kitties are getting up there. It's sad.
I stick by my quote - Mo should be cloned.
Along with Shannon, who is also getting older which I hate to admit, because she will never be replacable.
Good luck at the vet Mo, hope you smile at him with your gummy smile and show his your little perfect tail stub :)
Post a Comment