Monday, September 29, 2008

After a long, gray weekend

A long, gray Monday.

I am not much of a mind to be all chipper and cheery. The weather gets to me. I should move someplace where it's cool but sunny. I think that place exists only in my mind. I mean, I'm talking about the sunny, cool place with no earthquakes, no wildfires, no winter rains, and no mudslides.

I ask for a lot, I know.

Mo is still here. Rapidly losing weight now, although it doesn't seem to bother him. His eyes drip, get crusty and he protests as I try to clean them. I can feel every bone in his spine now. And yet his spirits are up. He's still hopping up on the bed at night. Greets me in the morning, complaining about food - mostly lack thereof.

After breakfast, he settles in on the couch next to me, jockeying with Gus or Taylor for position. When I come home, he's the first I greet.

I think it will be sooner rather than later, but so far, he seems to be in excellent spirits.

That's my Mo Man.

4 comments:

Murphy Jacobs said...

I'm pulling for Mo to be happy all the way until the last time he breathes.

I like to pretend he's making sure you know he's ok with it.

I've already cried today because a friend lost a sick kitten he was trying to nurse, and because I worry about the little orange cat we are half-adopting, and now I'm going to cry for Mo. I'm such a kitty crybaby. I'm also going to hug all my cats and make them irritated with me.

Becs said...

I'm sorry about your friend's kitten. When they come to you so ill, it's hard to pull them back.

I don't think there's any need to cry for Mo yet. I mean, he really is a pretty happy guy. The changes are all physical.

I'm trying to time it so that I get him just going over the edge to misery. I don't intend for him to suffer for one moment. He deserves that.

~~Silk said...

"sunny, cool place with no earthquakes, no wildfires, no winter rains, and no mudslides."

Hawaii! Seriously!
Just a little lava now and then.

Reality Check Woman said...

I'm strangely a cry baby when it comes to all things animal -- "charismatic macrofauna" as my friend says. I say strangely because it usually takes a lot for me to cry in most other circumstances...