Joyous news, dear ones.
Well. Let's see. Lately, just as a temporary thing, I was doing some work for Boy Wonder and Girl Wonder, QAing stuff and closing trouble tickets. Piece o' cake.
Have I been trying to track down Yentl? Have I been in hot pursuit of requirements for Version 2.0 of the Yentl Project? Meh. Not so much. I tried intermittently. End of last week, beginning of this, realized it wasn't going to happen.
So naturally, having blown through the BW/GW stuff and not being able to pin down Yentl on anything, I started just dicking around on the Internet most of the day.
Bad sign. Really, really bad sign.
Imagine my surprise when Fireman Fred waved at me to come into his office today and said, "We're making some changes in how your time is distributed. What do you think about this? For the BW/GW project, you work 25% of your time. Another project is one that fell not just on the back burner but off the stove about a year ago. That will be 50% of your time." Ohhkayyy....
"Well, the Yentl Project - honestly, we're trying to keep this thing from bleeding out. We're trying to reduce costs and I was talking to FTB today. We both realize that it's pointless for you to keep trying to pin her down when she won't be pinned down."
No kidding. She attended a meeting on Monday morning and I have no idea where the hell she was for the rest of the week. Tending to her sick kid? Playing golf? Going to Hadassah? Beats me.
Occasionally, a weird message would pop in from her via email, doing all kinds of crazy reports and stuff with The Yentl System. I went over to Trevor to give him the WTF? gesture.
"Don't say a word," he declared in his best Trevory tones. "I can't work with her. I can't. Impossible."
So. Fireman Fred said, "Look, just keep doing a high level project plan and keep conducting the status meetings. At this point, that's about the best you're going to manage to accomplish."
I know, too, what this is. This if Former True Boss's way of keeping an eye on Yentl. He's not deep enough in the project (nor should he be) to know what's expected when and to whom it will be distributed.
But I no longer felt like I was dragging around concrete blocks on a wooden yoke across my shoulders.
Of course, this does mean I have to deal with Boy Wonder again, who was all too glad to get rid of me when Girl Wonder was hired. I am too slow for him, too plodding and ... bovine. And I think he's willfully and deliberately mean to people. And he is.
Today he told GW and me about the whiteboard he has at his house. "I leave nasty notes on it for the maid," he giggled.
Yes. He's 30 years old. Drives a paid for high end Merc. Has a pied a terre in NYC and is rumored not to need a job. He has a cleaning lady who comes in once a week. And he spends three minutes a week, jerking around this woman he's probably paying maybe $10 / hr. Nice.
Well, at least the Off The Stove project sounds interesting and fun and promises to have lots of things to learn.
And Yentl is OFF MY BACK!!!!!!!
2 comments:
Huzzah!
When it gets tedious here sending out status reports saying "Waited on customer to make a decision," I remember the one time a customer sued us because we didn't honor our 90-day freed bug fix agreement. We were able to pull up weeklu reports for that 90 days all of which said "Waited on customer." Status reports have not been tedious since.
Congrats! Now don't forget to document what FF said, and send him a copy of your understanding for his concurrence.
Post a Comment