There are people I've encountered who seem to lead charmed lives. They are attractive, smart, confident, and no harm ever seems to have touched their lives. There has been neither sickness nor calamity. No disaster has ever left them clinging to the wreckage. Quite the opposite - they're drinking champagne at midnight on the QE II.
I've learned something about people leading charmed lives.
Sometimes they are. Most of the times, they aren't.
Annushka seems to be leading a charmed life. But the truth behind it is that her grandmother starved to death when they were shipped to Siberia, she was separated from her father and brother for about six years, her brother died an alcoholic, her first husband beat her, her second husband died a painful and lingering death, and she has had to work damned hard to make it all look so easy.
For the rare few who are truly leading charmed lives, I say, hurray for you. Keep leading it. May you know neither darkness nor sorrow.
This is a turnabout for me. I used to be so jealous of people leading these lives of ease and comfort.
But I came to recognize that there were times when that life of material comfort was bought at a great cost. That what looked like the world's best marriage on one side of the door was in fact abusive and like a prison.
I've realized that more often than not, a charmed life is just a matter of misdirection.
So for those of you who have been fortunate enough to lead this good life, at least recognize it for what it is and be grateful. That's all I ask. I don't begrudge you your happiness. Just be grateful for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment