Monday, January 19, 2009

A Soapbox Moment

For the last couple of years, I've gotten a little teary-eyed at Martin Luther King Jr. Day. I've done my reading. I've watched the movies. I've seen discrimination in action and have myself fallen into thoughts about other peoples and races that are far from kind. That's why I get a little verklempt at MLK day, thinking that there's hope for us if we just keep working at it.

The temptation is very strong to say, look how far we've come! We've elected an African-American president. Who ever thought they would see it in their liftetime? I didn't.

Then I think nebulous but warm thoughts about civil rights.

Then I think about a group that is continually denied civil rights, despite legislation that was aimed at eradicating all barriers to their civil rights. My mother was in that group. One day, I might be in that group. A lot of us might be.

One of the reasons why I voted for Obama was because of his strong stand for disability rights and reinvigorating the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Unfortunately - and maybe Obama isn't aware of this, but if he isn't, what kind of president will he be - there are reports abounding by people who use wheelchairs or other mobility aids that Obama's campaign offices were inaccessible. And now there come reports that people with disabilities and the elderly are basically being told to stay home for the inauguration.

Isn't this just the same as putting up a sign for "whites only" and "coloreds only"? Seems that way to me.

When spokespersons for the incoming government tell people with disabilities to stay away from the inauguration, couldn't that be construed as being denied the right to peaceful assembly?

This is no time to be congratulating ourselves on how far we've come. People are being shoved aside by this incoming government after vowing otherwise.

Not an auspicious start.

By the way, there's a ramp up to my soapbox and an ASL interpreter at the ready, too. Come on down.

No comments: